In 1963 the sanctuary was renovated to its 1834 simplicity. Three years later fire , caused when a furnace overheated, destroyed the chancel and front of the newly renovated sanctuary. The damage was quickly repaired. In 1977 the sanctuary underwent a major reconstruction – literally from basement to balcony. It was almost as if the sanctuary were being built again. The original builders had finished their work 143 years ago. Now much of what they had done in 1834 had to be done again. It was not that their work was poorly done. Rather, it was the passing of time that had taken its toll. Floors and walls had to be supported anew; old balcony hangers had to be removed to reduce stress on the ceiling and outside walls; various roof trusses and support plates had to be installed and much, much more.
Since 1885 when the young people gave the church its first organ—a pump organ—finding an organ that would fill church needs was somewhat problematical. In 1918, Mr. Arthur McEwan gave an electric pipe organ to replace the pump organ. Forty years later, Mrs. Arthur McEwan presented a new Moeller organ in memory of her late husband. At times, the organ seemed to have a mind of its own. For example, one organ would strike and hold a note when no one was touching it. The repairman was called on a regular basis and certainly before major church holidays, hoping the organ would play as expected. A very close relationship developed between the organist and its repairmen. In 2004, the church purchased a new Allen organ that promised to do all that was asked of it, We’ll see.